We had a great fourth of July. We had friends from the neighborhood come over for a bbq and we have a great view of the fireworks from our front lawn. Wyatt was so excited about fireworks. We had a few little boys that just went crazy every time we let them off. Willie even rode his bike to a fireworks stand to get more but they were already sold out.


I remember the first 4th of July we lived in this house. We didn't really know anyone and we just celebrated the three of us (pre Hank). We were so lonely for good friends. I remember wondering if we'd ever make friends here like we had in Boulder. Well, all I can say is that we weren't lonely long. We've been blessed with wonderful friends.



On the evening of the 5th we braved camping again. Our neighbors are checking out a 40 acre lot up above Grand Junction so we camped with them to get a feel for the land. It was beautiful. We had some great light rain and a late night talking and playing the guitar. I slept slightly better than our last camping trip. At one point in the night Hank was crying and I looked over and Wyatt was sleeping right through it. So I finally got the guts to have them sleep in the same room. Hank still cries but it doesn't seem to bother Wyatt.




Our neighbor Jared let Willie and Wyatt take his jeep up on the campout. Wyatt loved it. Here is a picture of him the next morning in his pajamas with his hiking boots and vest. If you look closely he has a small carabiner attached to his vest. What a cute little camper.



Here is the view from our camp spot. It's the valley of Grand Junction and the grand mesa.




Friday evening something scary happened. Hank was on the floor exploring as usual and Wyatt flicked him on the head with some underwear. I scolded Wyatt for hitting him on the head and went to pick up Hank as he started to cry. After picking him up, I noticed his lips start to turn blue and he was having a very long pause between his cry. He then passed out in my arms, opened his eyes but kept rolling them back, was still limp and was twitching a little bit.

At the time i didn't relate what was happening to his long pause in crying. I just thought he'd been injured or was having a seizure or something. I was so panicked. I called 911, mostly thinking they could give me some advice. They just asked questions and said they were sending someone over. Between the time I made the call and when they arrived (less than 5 minutes), Hank became responsive and seemed to come back to normal.

The paramedics came and were so nice. They checked Hank over and explained that sometimes babies hold their breath so long when crying they pass out and it takes a few minutes for them to come out of the daze. I had heard of this before, but it didn't cross my mind at the time it happened. So they left and several neighbors came by to make sure everything was fine. After I called Willie and things settled down I just burst out crying. For the next couple of hours I felt like I'd just exercised really hard. The rush of adrenaline from panic and fear wiped me out. Poor Wyatt cried during the whole thing thinking he'd done it by flicking him with his underwear. I tried to tell him it wasn't his fault and that what happened was just from Hank's long cry. I hope he knows that.



I just love Hank so much. I'm so glad everything is okay.


8 Comments:

  1. Amy said...
    I'm glad Hank is okay. Poor little thing. It sounds so scary. I'm glad you guys have so many nice friends in Grand Junction.
    Wendy said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Wendy said...
    Taylor did that to me once when he was small. (before my other two munch kins) The called it "holding breath spells", & told me he may do it again and again since he'd done it once. I thought "no way, I can't do that again." He never did, although there were a few times I caught myself saying "breathe Taylor, breathe!" We had an ambulance show up as well, and the entire neighborhood with it. There is nothing like that frantic helpless feeling. I'm so glad everything turned out ok!!
    The Waites said...
    I'm glad that little Hank is okay. That sounds so scary. I love looking at your blog and getting caught up on your life happenings. I've actually updated our blog if you can believe it. Tell Wyatt that Mack says hello. He always asks random people if they know his friend Wyatt. Funny.
    sara said...
    so scary about hank! who knew underwear could be so lethal. my friend's little boy does that all the time. i think before he passes out she blows hard in his face. it makes them gasp for breath involuntarily. hopefully it won't happen again so you won't have to use that trick.

    are you ready to JUMP baby? bring some blank CDs so i can burn you and amy some sweet new workout mixes. or maybe we can figure out how to load them right onto your ipods. can't wait to see you guys!!!
    Jewel Stratford said...
    I know exactly what you went through. All the panic. Holly's oldest boy, Cael, now 5, had that happen to him a couple of times. Regretably, once while I was tending him and I freaked out. He has, since, grown out of the scenario and, after studying it on the internet, I found it is quite a normal response to an unexpected event. I'm sorry that you had to get a 'BIRDIE HEART'(as Jennifer used to say.) Motherhood isn't for wimps!
    christy said...
    wow....poor mama! i think i would have had the same reaction--holding it together until things calmed down, and then bawling. what a shock! i'm glad everyone's ok.
    Steph said...
    Poor Hank and Wyatt - and mama! That had to be so scary. Ben's sister used to hold her breath when she was mad and pass out, anywhere and everywhere. I would have been a mess.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home