We have been playing music with a few people from our street in the 17th Street Band for a while now. Willie plays mostly fiddle, but mandolin and guitar on a few songs and I play upright bass. One neighbor John plays guitar and lap steel and Melissa (not pictured) plays fiddle and sings harmony. Last night we learned that Willie's secretary plays accordion and we are trying to recruit her.

We have played at a pizza place but last night was our first real gig. We considered it our band debut. It was a fundraiser for the local community radio. There were about 100 people. It was a local brewery that was donating the proceeds from a special brew of beer to the radio station. We played outside and it was a cool evening. Everything went really well. We don't have any pictures, but a neighbor took some video so I'll upload it as soon as we get it. A great couple from church stayed with the boys. They asked to come early to play with them before bedtime so Willie and I rode our bikes downtown to eat at a Nepali restaurant. It was so good. Wyatt got to stay up late playing with his sitters. Hank also got special treatment because they didn't like to hear him crying when they put him down for bed so he got to stay up and play too.

We played for two hours and got home a little after 11pm. We were exhausted from such a fun time. I have a small blister to show for it, which means I've been practicing really well. When I'm out of practice I can get a HUGE blister in about an hour so my finger is getting used to it. Several couples from Willie's work came and a few friends from church. We mostly played original songs that Willie wrote and our other band member Jon Rizzo. We also played a few covers of Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Muddy Waters. When people ask us what kind of music the band plays we all have different answers. I say folk/rock. Willie says Americana or roots music. This band has been a fun thing for us to do. We practice Thursday nights on the back porch so next time any of you come to visit hopefully you'll be here for a Thursday practice.

7 Comments:

  1. Travis said...
    Sounds like such a good time. You guys are so cool! But I hope the beer at the brewery was non-alcoholic. Dear, dear.
    Brian said...
    You guys are cool. I'm glad you have your very own band now. I'll put you on my ipod when you make it big.
    Amy said...
    That was me, not Brian
    Jewel Stratford said...
    I love the whole idea of contributing to the quality of life in your community by sharing your musical talents. It is an act of service. I'll wager that this "gig" is just the first of many!
    starr said...
    you guys are the real guitar heroes.
    Kate said...
    You need to tell me next time you guys play so I can come!
    ginger said...
    Sally- I am so happy you have a blog too! I love keeping up with everyone on these!

    Did you know how to play string bass in college? How did I miss that? You know I play, too, right? Alas, I don't have my own, but when I was in Los Angeles, I borrowed one and a friend and I had a little duo, and we played for various church functions. It was fun!

    Your family is beautiful! I am so happy to see you doing so well.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home