I have not had much time to post lately, but I had to get up a few pictures from Christmas. We had a great time in Utah and stayed a few days with my dad and a few days with my mom.

Wyatt was so cute about Christmas this year. Some of you may know that Willie and I have always wondered how to approach Santa with our kids. I have no ill will towards Santa or families that are into him, but I have always had an inner conflict about misleading my kids for something so unimportant. This subject can really upset some of my friends. Truly, I don't mind if other people want to really go for it with Santa. For us, though, when we celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday and we don't want to make it too commercial or that presents are related to being naughty or nice (for instance, your rich friend gets a truckload of presents and you get two, is it because he was nicer?), pushing Santa doesn't seem like the best thing to do.  

So it hadn't come up until this year. Wyatt suddenly started asking me all these questions about Santa. I kind of thought when it first came up he's ask me if Santa was real and I could just explain he wasn't. But he started asking, how does he gets down the chimney, when could we go to the north pole and things like that. So we had the Santa talk. I told him the origins of Santa, how the whole gift giving tradition got started, and I told him we used our imagination to believe in Santa but he wasn't real, he was like other friends he had on TV like Barney or Dora. So I thought the talk went pretty well and I was so relieved it was over. We still wrote a letter to Santa and he still asked his questions which I would answer with, Well, the story goes . . ." So then on Christmas eve he pulled me aside and said he thought Santa was actually real. He's so cute.   

I'm not quite sure our little talk sunk in, but it's more for me than him anyway. I set the foundation for how I would approach it for the next couple of years. He wanted only three things for Christmas, a real electric typewriter, a sled and candy. He's been so sweet. He knows the presents came from us or family members so we'll just be hanging out and he'll say, "mom that was so nice for you to get me a toy shaving kit, you did a great job" Things like that. His typewriter was the highlight of his Christmas. One of Willie's coworkers gave it to us. I've been dictating letters from him ever since. He can even type his own name.




Here is Wyatt with his beloved typewriter (real and electric as specified) Christmas morning.

Here is the Christmas morning madness at my dad and Jewel's house in Ephraim. Thanks Dad and Jewel for letting us turn your house upside down. Amy and her family and Calder and Starr were there too.


Here are the cute cousins. Calder and Starr are working on one in utero, to add to the mix. Amy and Brian always give Wyatt and Hank great pajamas. These were so soft. Ella and Wyatt played so well together, that helped since Hank was tearing my dad's house apart, carrying crystal goblets over tile floors or playing with glass nativity sets pulling things off the tree.



I thought it was funny all the nativity reenactment pictures we had. this is Christmas eve in Ephraim.




This is in Midway a few days later.





This is another midway nativity shoot, possible to try new costumes or different lighting. They were really patient.

4 Comments:

  1. Hilma Bellessa said...
    Such cute kids. We loved having you for part of the festivities. We'll look forward to another get together this summer. I enjoy seeing the closeness and love between you siblings and also the growing relationships between the cousins. That is what it is all about.
    thedoodlegirl said...
    I share your exact same position on the whole Santa Claus thing. My daughter, who is 5, told one of her friends in her primary class this year that Santa is not real. The child's mom called me and I could tell she was quite upset! So we told my daughter that other parents want their kids to believe in Santa, etc, so not to announce it next time. I grew up knowing the truth and had great fun with my brother and sisters pretending and imagining about Santa. I also didn't want it to conflict with how I teach our kids about the Savior. That we cannot see him, but he's real. I totally get you. :)
    Sarah said...
    A toy shaving kit and a typewriter--Wyatt is such a doll!

    We never told our kids about Santa either.
    Sherry Ficklin said...
    Hey Sally, how do i subscribe to your blog?

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home