I haven't posted for a long time.  Part of the reason is that I had two intense weeks working on the following quilt.  Jared and Melissa are our neighbors and good friends.  Jared got laid off from his job on an oil rig and they decided it would be a good time to go to Mexico for six months.  They are living out of their air stream trailer pulled by their van (pictured on the quilt). When I heard the plan I knew I needed to send them off with a quilt to keep them warm and remind them of our street.  I thought I'd have at least a month, but it turned out to be only two weeks.  I really had to turn up the intensity to finish it.  I'm pleased with the way it turned out.  Here's a picture with a few detail shots.




Jared likes to canoe so this square shows his canoe on the colorado river. I love the little foot in the picture.



Jared and Melissa had a wedding party up in the mountains several years ago where they had a marriage ceremony (they had eloped a year earlier).  It was a beautiful experience.  We played music, I made Melissa's bouquet, there was great food and the guests decorated their tipi with hand-prints and names. I see their tipi as a symbol of their love and union so it had to make the quilt.


On the quilt I represented the houses of the families on the street that spend a lot of time together.  This house is our next door neighbor's, the Nobles, house.




The Friday before they left we had a party at our house with friends and family to send them off.  We went through two packages of tortillas, 4 dozen tamales, and half a sheet cake.  People brought them rice and beans, chocolate and wine to stock them up for their trip.  I gave them some big cans of rice and bean from our food storage.  We played music, had a fire in the backyard and talked until the middle of the night.  It was so fun.  I admit that when I went to bed and heard everyone talking and enjoying themselves I was a little teary eyed to see Jared and Melissa leaving our street.  They didn't sell their house but they rented it out and I feel like it could be a while until they come back.




The next day the neighborhood went for a bike ride downtown to eat lunch then to the botanic gardens and the colorado river to throw rocks.  I pulled the trailer with the boys and let's just say my gluts were burning by the end of the ride.  I'm not sure how many miles we went, but Hank and Wyatt create a lot of drag.



Jared had a trash can of sorts on his bike so he rode with our old Christmas tree.



Wyatt and Hank had a blast. They love throwing rocks in the river.  They both came home covered in mud.

13 Comments:

  1. Hilma Bellessa said...
    I love your quilt, your talents, your family and friends.
    Wendy said...
    The quilt is beautiful!!! You are so talented. Sorry about he neighbors leaving, that is always rough. You are such a good friend to throw them a party and send them off with something to keep them warm!
    daring one said...
    You are an amazing friend. That quilt is unbelievable.
    Travis said...
    We should add quilt-making to the studioCase list of capabilities.
    Art Boy said...
    Sally, you are amazing. I'm always so impressed with your quilts. I love all the pictures on it, too. And I'm jealous of all your friends! I miss that about our college days. Fun times.
    Jewel Stratford said...
    What a seamstress! To create your own quilt top is a feat that few would tackle. Best wishes to your friends onthier next adventure.
    ginger said...
    Great job on the quilt Sally! It turned out so nice.
    sara said...
    Nice quilt! I am really going to learn to sew this year. It's time, already. I have big plans to make dresses for Scout.
    Rebecca said...
    wow, quite a quilt Sally. AND, in only 2 weeks. you are amazing:)
    R
    Emilie and Branden said...
    I want to live on your street.
    Melissa and Chad said...
    Ok Sally- I want to move away just for quilt! I know...we are not that close to put all that work into one! Your quilts are STUNNING!
    michelle said...
    You have been honored with a
    WONDERFUL BLOG award because I think you are wonderful!

    Stop by my blog to accept your award.
    david said...
    bike adventures are the best! i can't wait till my little guy is old enough for these shenanigans.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home