Moab


Every year since we have lived in Grand Junction, we have been invited to river trip in Moab with a group of friends from Willie's firm. I look forward to it every year. I think my love of the desert really blossomed the first time I rode the Colorado river way back in college. It's so beautiful.

I think of the other years we have gone on this trip. The first year Wyatt was Hank's age and it was so hot, 100 degrees during the day. The second year I was pregnant with Hank but in the wonderful 2nd trimester and full of energy. Last year Hank was not walking and it was cold that night and I was sleep deprived (the hardest year by far).

This year was wonderful. The weather was perfect 90 degrees during the day and mild nights. When we were all lying in the tent the first night I felt like a real family. What's better than sleeping under the stars with your husband and kids surrounding you. Well I guess a comfortable king bed in the tent and both kids on Willie's side of the bed could have been even better. Hank has really improved as a camper, though he had a hard time falling asleep because he was so excited and curious. He kept running around the tent, looking out the windows and climbing all over me until he finally laid down for two seconds to rest and fell asleep.

Hank is very specific about the way he wants to be held when he sleeps by me. He has to be in the crook of my arm, and pulled in close and he wants our faces touching. This is absolutely adorable for about an hour. All night was a little uncomfortable, but for the most part we all slept well, a far cry from last year.

The desert is in bloom this time of year. I went running Saturday morning down the canyon and saw some great plants. I went back to get a few with my camera. This is called Prince's Plume.


This is a Dwarf Evening Primrose.




This year Wyatt was a lot more social. He's still one of the littler kids, but still had a great time playing and making friends. One of the parents brought glow sticks for the kids one night. I love Wyatt's outfit. He just loves this little football jersey that is about two sizes too small. He had it on with chords and sandals. He looked totally hip.


Wyatt didn't ride the river last year because he didn't want to get splashed and we could not convince him to go. This year he was excited but only wanted to go with Willie. He is a huge Willie fan. Wyatt and Willie ran the river in the morning and Hank and I played in the car and river. Then I went on the afternoon trip and Willie and the boys went on a drive/nap and went to the library in Moab.



Wyatt loved playing in the sand.

Hank had no fear of the water and didn't seem to mind the cold temperature.


More playing in the sand.


6 Comments:

  1. David said...
    I loved the commentary and photos. I want to do a river trip with you guys. Is there a motel close by? We could sleep there and do the river during the day. So ice to ichat with you.
    Travis said...
    Nice. So beautiful!
    Jewel Stratford said...
    What a nice memory. Your photos are terrific. Glad you could get away for a few days.
    ginger said...
    The desert is so beautiful right now.
    And seriously, your boys are adorable! Love those cute little towheads!
    sara said...
    Looks so fun! You're brave to take a 2 year old camping. I'd rather die (than take my 2 year old... yours must be more manageable.)
    Melynne said...
    Moab is magical. Since pregnant I have dreamed about my mountain bike (that I can't currently ride!) The river rafting looked so awesome!
    ps. Wyatt is so cool.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home