I started working out with a trainer around Thanksgiving and it is so fun.  Donnie Homles, otherwise known as Coach, is my trainer.  He is one of the football coaches at Mesa state and a former NFL football player and competitive body builder. He works us so hard, but is very positive and encouraging. He does strength training with us M, W and F and we are responsible for our cardio.  He has me on a high protein diet (that's a post for another time, yuck) I took a few pictures today. It was hard to take great pictures and work out, so these will have to do.  




This is the only action shot I could get because I was on a weight machine and when you are on bands you have to do 8 extra reps.  So I had an 8 rep break to snap a picture.  I like how Donnie always acts like it's hard for him too, when he doesn't have any weights or bands.  He just wants us to feel him right there with us.



Behold the water bottle and protein powder.  I always have a lot of water and  I take the protein powder right after I finish weights.  You can also see my ring in the picture.  Sometimes I forget and wear rings and it really pinches when doing pull ups and holding on to bars.  I thought a picture of the treadmill would be appropriate.  This is where I do most of my cardio.  I've run 7 miles on one of these treadmills, but I don't prefer to run long distances on it.  I prefer to watch The Daily Show, E! news or Las Vegas (classy I know) and run about 4 miles.  On weight lifting days I walk uphill and stay in my fat burning zone for about 20 minutes before I go home.  I also like spin and kickboxing for cardio but since the Moab half is coming up, I just run, which I enjoy.



 Donnie is a stickler about recording weights.  If we could get all of our reps, even if it was hard, you put a plus sign by your weight then go up next time.  If you couldn't get all of your reps you stay at a minus. If you forget to record your weight he'll make you go up.  Also, if he sees your weights are too easy, he'll pull/push on your weights until you are really working.  I try to grunt and make extra weight lifting faces when he walks by so he doesn't push on my weights.

Some people think women get bulky when lifting heavy weights.  Donnie says that only happens if you are eating to gain mass.  One of his sayings is, "if you eat like an ox you'll look like an ox, if you eat like a bird, you'll look like a bird."  Genetics plays into it also, some women bulk up with certain muscles.  Thankfully, my muscles don't bulk up, they just get stronger.


Here's the gang.  Helen is on the left.  She is probably my age, if not younger, and has a few young children.  Mo is next.  Her oldest children are a little younger than me.  She and her husband own several restaurants in Grand Junction and she just got back from Hawaii.  Jody is to the right of me.  Her youngest child is my age.  She is a mountaineer and often climbs fourteeners with her husband. She is going to India at the end of the week. Crystal is next.  She has elementary age kids and grew up in Grand Junction.  These ladies are super strong!



Here is Donnie instructing.  He uses the timer around his neck, always has a typed out schedule and clipboard for us and threatens to bring his whistle if we are moving too slow between stations.  Here are some of his favorite sayings:

Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself.
Last set best set, it's the set that will make you grow.
No pain, no gain and your body remains the same.

5 Comments:

  1. David said...
    Wow Sally..you are really agro. It shows. You look great..didn't get the exercise gene from me. (MOM)
    Jewel Stratford said...
    Exercise must be in the Stratford blood. Your Dad is so dedicated. You look terrific!
    Wendy said...
    You go girl!
    Anonymous said...
    ok hank its you and me here buddy... becca and randy hook me up bro!!!
    Michelle said...
    That sounds like the perfect trainer! I had a good trainer but he didn't ever put a work out schedule for me that I could carry around- I really wanted something like you have to log in what you do. Otherwise I would feel lost at the gym. After my marathon training class I thought of my trainer and how good it was to work with him, I was so much stronger than I am now.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home