Moab Half Recap

Yesterday was the Moab half marathon.  I loved it.  I got up at 4:45am and rode to Moab with some friends.  My friends Betsy and Stephen have run this race 6 times so they were able to calm my rookie nerves.  If it wasn't for them I would have been the first one on the bus up the canyon with my warm clothes off and in the sweat vehicle, freezing, waiting two hours for the race to start.  

After we picked up our packets one of my water bottles spilled in my bag and got my little canon point/shoot camera wet, my ear band, thermal top, holga and my precious iphone.  My iphone speakers weren't working after they got wet but miraculously started working again on our drive home. I'm so glad.  The little camera is dead and we'll see how my Holga film comes out.  That was the only bit of bad luck all day.

I met up with Cary Rogers, on old college roommate and one of my best friends.  We ran together the whole time and had so much fun talking about everything.  We are the kind of friends that just pick right up where we left off.  We kept saying, "I can't believe we have gone 2, 5, 8 miles.  I feel so good."  Our slow and steady pace, good conversation, great weather, and beautiful setting made it so enjoyable.  The excitement of thousands of runners and the caffeine boost in my energy beans and shot blocks gave me unbelievable energy. It was so great to have Willie and the boys at the finish line waiting for me.  My dear little family.  Cary and I came in at 2hrs and 23 minutes, a steady 10 minute 55 second mile pace.  

In short, I'm totally doing this again, every year, for the rest of my life.





8 Comments:

  1. Kaymie said...
    I just have to say that our finish time was actually 2 hours and 23 minutes. The time from the START time was 2:26, but since almost 5,000 peoples started before us, if you look at our chip time it says we finished in 2:23. Those 3 minutes make us sound so much faster:) It was the best race ever.
    Kaymie said...
    By the way the previous comment was from Cary, the running partner,...not Kaymie...not sure how my 9 year-old has her name on my account to publish comments.
    Travis said...
    Nice work!!! You guys are so fit!

    Sorry to hear about the point-and-shoot; but glad the iPhone is okay. If I were you, I'd turn it off and let it dry out for a while---just to be safe.
    Rachel said...
    way to go Sally!! such a great accomplishment and a very impressive time. good job!
    Jewel Stratford said...
    Great job and beautiful photos. Your Dad is very happy that you are following in his footsteps.
    Dad said...
    Sal - 13 miles is a long ways - good job. It feels so good to be fit and to run a half marathon. I am proud of you. Dad
    sara said...
    Way to go Sal!!! Wish I could have been there to run it with you... although I haven't run that far in a long, long time. Maybe someday I'll train and come do it with you.

    Great pictures! Not bad for a wet point and shoot.
    Melynne said...
    you are so rad. i seem to remember a sally from a LONG time ago that didn't like to run. you have come so far! makes me want to run a race! keep it up!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home