Pesto

It's pesto season. I have three huge basil plants and am on the verge of a major pesto production.  I love freezing pesto for the winter.  We mostly use it on pasta but the other day I made a pizza with pesto, home grown tomatoes and mozzarella.

I don't really use this recipe anymore. I just wing it with the ingredients below and it is always delicious.  It also needs salt.  I started my production a few days ago and got side tracked taking pictures of the ingredients.  I freeze it flat and pretty thin in a ziplock bag.  Then I can break it in half or less depending on how much I need to use, or I can put the whole ziplock bag in warm water to thaw it.




Ingredients:
3 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves (2 ounces total)
3 Tablespoons walnut pieces
3 Tablespoons grated parmesan
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
coarse salt and ground pepper
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a food processor, combine the basil, walnuts, parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, and 3 Tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Pureé until a paste forms.
With the processor running, add the oil in a thin stream. Process until very smooth, about 1 minute.

2 Comments:

  1. Disco Mom said...
    Awesome, thanks for the recipe! I remember in Boulder you talking about the big pesto production and freezing it in ice cube trays. I knew then you were a genius. Someday I'll have a garden with lots of basil. Your pizza makes my mouth water. Love checking in with you :) - Kari
    PS - I just posted my girls' baby quilts my mom made - as a fellow quilter thought you might like to take a look.
    ginger said...
    Your recipe sounds great. The last one I tried dint' turn out so well, so I will definitely try this one. We are huge pesto lovers too, and my basil is all starting to go to flower because we aren't using it fast enough. (Even though I use it every day! It's prolific.)

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home