I got on the road yesterday at 9am and got off to a slow start when I locked my keys in the car at a gas station in Montrose.  After Geico sent someone to unlock the car I got on the road again and drove all day. I listened to the book Born to Run the whole way and stayed interested almost the whole time. I took several instant photos along the way and got into Santa Fe around 6 pm.  I got all settled into my room and felt a little bit lonely and homesick and nervous until I was able to talk to Willie, Wyatt and Hank.

Today has been great.  Aline, my teacher is amazing.  I love her work. She has a great sense of humor and is warm and smart.  Today we showed our first assignment and showed our prints.  Jeff, my printer, gets high marks for making a print that passed inspection.  Aline even uses the same paper that I had Jeff print on.  So far we've been covering what being a fine art photographer is all about. I think I have found where to channel my passion for photography.  WEddings and portraits and business were all wrong for me.  I've mentioned before that it really drained me creatively. There are so many similarities between fine art photography and poetry.

from my notes:

What makes your images fine art:

  • Photography that is done as a fine art -- that is, done to express the artist's perceptions and emotions and to share them with others.
  • A picture that is produced for sale or display rather than one that is produced in response to a commercial commision.
  • The production of images to fulfill the creaive vision of a photogarpher.
  • Historicly, has sometimes been applied to any photography whose intention is aesthetic, as distingushed from scientific, commerical, or journalistic.








2 Comments:

  1. Suzanne Révy said...
    So glad to see you've headed back out to Santa Fe, and Aline is awesome! She's a good friend, and has been an enormous support. Can't wait to see the pictures you make!!

    And best wishes on the baby front, I know it's a huge decision, but how wonderful!!

    ~Suzanne
    Justin Hackworth said...
    So exciting, Sally. I can't wait to hear more and see what you cook up!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home